Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ghosts and such









This is my cool pitcher plant. It's carniverous...those pitchers are always full of dead flies. I paid $20 for it; a friend mentioned that they grow wild down where she lives in Florida. Just threw it in, as I have no pictures of ghosts.....


There was an article in the paper recently about the Ghost Train that carried Lincoln's body back to Illinois for burial. According to legend, in April the ghost of Lincoln's funeral train appears on the tracks in Urbana Ohio, where the train paused for fifteen minutes while crowds watched and paid their last respects. People have felt it pass them - felt the rush of hot air, and some have seen a phantom light down the tracks. Some people have seen the actual train, with a crew of grinning skeletons on it. Clocks in the area stop while it passes, and lose 5 or 10 minutes of time. Apparently this year, a history class from Urbana College watched for it, but missed out on actually seeing anything. I was disappointed, as I'm sure they were.


This jogged my memory and reminded me of a friend of mine who has a son in his mid 20's who bought a house last year out in the country east of Columbus. Kyle was recently divorced after a short marriage, and had a friend living with him for a while to share expenses. I forget who first noticed that they had a ghost. It wasn't too long after they moved in. As with other houses that have been empty for a while, it needed cleaned up. Kyle's friend really worked on the windows, and had them sparkling. It was only a day or two later that they noticed a child's handprints on a couple of the windows. On the inside. And no children had been in the house. They cleaned them off, puzzled. And a week or so later, more handprints. Small ones. Then one day, the room mate came home from work, and in passing Kyle's bedroom saw a small girl sitting on Kyle's bed. I guess he flew out of the house, scared to death, and went to his mom and dad's house till Kyle got back home. There have been other instances where someone has seen the child.....usually out of the corner of their eye. Once at a party at Kyle's house, so they have other witnesses. I guess they've learned to live with it. Things were still a little up in the air when I last talked to Cindy. Again, the medical "issues" (I hate that word, actually, but it fits) I had the past 6 months have intruded on a lot of areas. I really need to call Cindy and see what has transpired. I'll let you know after I talk to her......

So....do I believe in ghosts? I do. And I've read where 51% of Americans believe in them, too. I'll also let you know if I ever see one!


No comments: