Monday, October 30, 2006

Little bit of white powder



Buddy is our cover boy today. This is a pic of Buddy when he was younger and thinner, but that's the way it goes with the best of us.
Younger and thinner, ah yes.
Anyhow, regarding that little bit of white powder.......let me go back to yesterday. I was feeling Martha Stewart-ish, and decided to try out a recipe I had for "holiday bread." It was a neat recipe for pumpkin bread with little chocolate chips and walnuts in it, and the icing was a confectioners sugar, butter and cream mixture. Yummy. It made 2 loaves. I carefully laid out all the ingredients, buttered and floured the pans, and got out my trusy KitchenAide mixer. This was going to be great. I carefully measured and mixed and poured the mix into the pans ~ two of those "air bake" pans with 2 layers of aluminum (or whatever) so they would bake just right. I put them in the oven, and decided to fold a load of laundry that had just buzzed dry in the dryer. That took me about 5 minutes. Next on the agenda, clean up the kitchen. I put the measuring thingys in the sink, and I started to put away the flour and sugar and stuff. It was just about then that I noticed the box of baking soda. A brand new box. Still unopened. Damn. How in the world could I have missed the baking soda? And is baking soda all that important? The recipe only called for a teaspoon of the darn stuff. I looked in the oven. The breads looked like they were starting to bake. Rats, too late to mix in baking soda. Well, it smelled good already. Maybe all would be okay. I decided to just see what happened. I mean, what alternative did I have at that point? Needless to say, 1 hour later, the bread was just as flat as it had been when I put it in the oven. It didn't rise at all. Maybe a millimeter or so. I was so disgusted with myself, that I didn't even try a little bite to see how it tasted. It looked like hell, and no way was I going to set it on the table for dinner, or take any of it in to work. Who wants to advertise that they are a failure in the kitchen. Not me. And I hate to admit it, I must have inherited a little bit of temper from someone in the family, because I threw away the bread ~ pans and all. I'm done. No more bread. It's just that simple. Next party, I'll bring chips and dip.
Okay, more tomorrow. I'm mad all over again, just telling the story. I think I need a glass of wine before Heroes is on t.v. in a few minutes.
Nighty night all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's why God made restaurants full of yummy food. Cooking is fast becoming a lost art. Don't sweat it.