Monday, November 06, 2006

Campfires and Koi

This weekend was really nice. November 3rd & 4th, but it seemed more like the October we missed. Marco and I hauled the last of the water hyacinth and lily pads out of the koi pond and cleaned out the leaves that had fallen from the ash tree. The koi are all sitting quietly at the bottom of the pond, starting their winter sleep. I miss them in the winter, although I can still see them slowly drifting around from time to time. It's just hard to believe that any kind of animals, even cold blooded ones, can sleep for months, and not eat but still survive.

After cleaning out the pond, we started a nice fire in the fire pit with all the branches we had cut back from the trees and bushes a few weeks ago. They had dried out quite nicely, and made a great fire. We keep plenty of firewood handy for fire-pit fires, and we threw some logs on the yard waste and really got it cookin'. It smells so wonderful in the fall. I had gone out to Chestnut Ridge Sunday morning to take a short hike, and there were quite a few deer, both at the park, and a few in the fields along Carroll-Winchester Road. I imagine this will be the last good week before it really starts turning cold. There are still some leaves on the trees, and it's fun scuffing thru what's on the ground. I'm sitting here at my computer at work today, wishing I was able to be outside, but maybe I'll get home from work before it gets totally dark. I hope so.

No comments: