Saturday, August 18, 2007

The last of HBO



Sunday night ~ it used to be our favorite television night, thanks to HBO. Over the years it's been Sex and the City, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Six Feet Under, Carnavale, Deadwood, and our favorite of all of them, The Sopranos. The "Ojibwe Saying" is from episode 69, when Tony is in the hospital recuperating from Uncle Junior shooting him. I just happen to like it, so I posted it. I don't think there will ever be a show as good asThe Sopranos. James Gandolfini made the scary Tony Soprano likeable. And Edie Falco was marvelous, as was every member of the cast. I have all the seasons on DVD, so we'll never lose The Sopranos. It's just that we can't look forward to seeing them on Sunday nights anymore.


The Sopranos finale was great. A lot of people were disappointed in it, but Marco and I thought it was excellent. I TIVO'd it, and have played it several times, both for myself and for the non-Soprano watchers that have visited. Mixed reactions from them. Again, I played it for mom, and she loved it. I think I'm corrupting her. And to make matters worse, I gave her a bunch of VHS tapes today as we never watch tapes anymore, and one of them was Hannibal. Can't wait to see if she enjoys Hannibal Lechter.


But what we considered all the good HBO shows are over now. John From Cincinnati is playing in the time slot where The Sopranos used to be. I think it's been cancelled already. Big Love is on, but I can't get in to a show about polygamy. Just sounds boring. So we did what I never thought we'd do: we cancelled HBO. It's just a shame when there's nothing on HBO that we like. And we never watched it except on Sunday nights, so it was kind of a waste all along.
So, I just want to bid a fond farewell to HBO, and to say it was great and it was fun while it lasted. This evening, I'll have free time to sit on my deck and enjoy the constellations and planets (Venus is getting very low in the west, so is Saturn, and Jupiter is shining bright) and have a glass of wine.

No comments: